Friday, April 22, 2011

Memories

One of my dearest and closest friends lost her mom last week and as I am trying to be a good support to her, I can't help but think about my mom. It hasn't brought particularly sad memories but my mom has been on my mind more than usual.

It's been 10 months since she died and this will be my first Mother's Day without her. My mom loved birdies and when I saw this one at the Dollar Tree, I bought it with the intention of painting the yellow rose, fuschia. I forgot to take a before picture but here is the finished product. I get my love of bright colors from my mom...her favorite was fuschia while mine is purple.
Here is a picture of my mom, Lena. Isn't she cute?
Of course, I can't think about death or my mom without thinking of my son, Andrew. He died two years ago...10 days after turning 18. This is one of my favorite pictures of him.
He loved to have fun and here we are pimpin' it up at Burlington Coat Factory. Oh, how I miss those crazy days. What do these memories and a food and craft blog have in common you ask? Well, I'll tell you...after my son died, I lost interest in life. I would have curled up under my blankets and never come out had it not been for my other son Matthew. I couldn't give up entirely because that wouldn't be fair to him.

I made it through each day with the strength God gave me. One foot in front of the other until I could go to bed at night. Fast forward through those dark times until this year...while still sad and missing my son, the pain is not as excruciating and I've been bitten by the crafting bug. I am getting so much comfort and joy from being creative. It truly is healing.

To God be the glory....




3 comments:

  1. creativity is healing. well said lidy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your losses. I'm sure your friend deeply appreciates the support you've been able to give her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that pimp pic is one of my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete