Monday, April 11, 2011

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

This is my go-to recipe. It's not the easiest one but it is well liked.

To start off you need about 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Put them in a big pot with garlic salt and boil until done. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and allow to cool. Once cool, shred and add table salt to taste. Set aside.

I mix one large can of La Victoria Green enchilada sauce and a jar of Rosarita Salsa Verde. It has a better taste than the enchilada sauce by itself.
Get your pot of oil on the stove to heat along with your pot of chile sauce. Once they have heated up, dip a tortilla in the oil and cook. Before it gets too hard use your tongs to transfer it to the chile pot. Dip, coating both sides and place on the plate. Continue doing this until you have a dozen tortillas stacked on the plate.
I like to use these throw away pans but you can use any serving dish you prefer. I spray some Pam and then put some sauce on the bottom. The amount of sauce I put on the bottom depends on how much I anticipate having left over. If I'm making lots of enchiladas, I use a little sauce. Today, I was only making a dozen so I used lots of sauce.

Here are my main ingredients. You can add diced onions and chopped olives if you like. My husband likes onions and no olives , I like olives and no onions. My son...I can't keep up with his likes and dislikes sometimes so, to make it easier on myself, I just use chicken and cheese.I put some chicken down the center, add some cheese and roll.

Here they are all naked and begging for some extra sauce and cheese...
That's better. Notice the little corner with cheddar cheese...that's for me. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
And now...the finished product!

As a variation you can make a casserole and skip the rolling step. For this size pan, I would use 18 tortillas and cook 8-10 chicken breasts. Follow all the same steps...dipping tortillas in oil then sauce. Layer the bottom of pan with 6 tortillas, spread chicken, add some sauce then sprinkle cheese. Add another layer of tortillas, chicken, sauce and cheese and finish with a layer of tortillas and cheese. Heat in oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until top tortillas are a little crunchy.

Serve either one with beans and rice on the side and your family will be happy.


Eat up!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday} and making my first party such a great success! I would love if you stopped by tomorrow and share more of your cute projects! :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete