Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sewing Project

Today was actually a free day. I had nothing planned and nowhere to go. That's a rare day for me. I decided I would sew a trash bag for my van.

Back story... For the first couple of years, I declared that my van would be a trash free zone. Long after the new car smell faded away, trash would accumulate in the drink holder. A little gum wrapper here, plastic from a new CD there. Then came the straw wrappers and errant french fry because now you can...(gasp) EAT in my van!

Almost 7 years later, I have come to the concession that I need a trash bag. After trips to Target, Wal-Mart and Pep Boys, I realized that there is nothing cute out there...in the way of trash bags for cars anyway.

So, back to my sewing project. I looked through my fabric to see what struck my fancy. Found a few that I liked and decided on an outside fabric and a liner fabric. I was so proud of myself, I even made a little strap to hang it from my shifter thingie (I'm sure there's a technical term). I set out the ironing board so I could iron my seams down and do a neat job.

Just when I got to the turning part, where you turn everything right side out, I realized that my liner fabric was, in actuality, the back side of the bag. HAH! In my lame brained calculations, I just pinned one piece to the other and sewed it on three sides with a hem at the top. The pictures show both sides.
Show of hands...how many of you have done this? I can't be the only one, can I? lol

For now, I'll use it for it's intended purpose. When I find some more cute fabric, I'll make the real bag WITH lining and use this one as a trash bag in my "craft room".

Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment